In the last Update in mid-October we had not started potting up any plants. We were anxiously awaiting the word from our propagating nursery about plants being ready to collect, and how we would get them over the border. I made three trips, which meant three covid tests along with getting the right travel document. The first lot came at the beginning of November, and by the 17th of December we had 22,600 plants sitting, potted up, in the nursery. A few new faces came to join us for working bees and I think it all went extremely well.
Also good news is that the dam is still nearly full, so we should have enough water to get us through.
We were successful with a recent grant application to the Paparoa County Depot Trust, which means we’ll be right until the end of our financial year when there’s no other income. We will be investigating other options for external funding as well as the prospect of charging for plants – as we used to do when we were starting out.